Thursday, February 17, 2011

Do I Dare?

The nubuck seaside sandal from Madewell


It's February in NYC. Today the high temperature is supposed to be a balmy 54 degrees (which actually does feel quiet warm compared to the weather we have had lately) - so of course I am doing the only logical thing - looking at sandals.


I know it sounds ridiculous but every year I make some sort of optimistic spring purchase. It is always premature, but some superstitious part of me feels like shopping for sun dresses and sandals will hasten the spring. Like groundhogs day - but more expensive. This habit insures I will have a perfect outfit in the closet ready and waiting for that first 60 degree day. It's one of my favorite days of the year. Everyone flocks to the park or to outdoor cafes hunting for a vitamin d fix. Overnight spring jackets replace wool coats and all the women in the city slip on skirts and sandals in a brazen show of optimism - generally in direct opposition to reality (because lets face it 60 degrees is still brisk).  I'm. so. ready.


In order to do my part to bring on the spring I have been coveting these beauties from Madewell. They are a bit pricey, but my main dilemma is the 3 1/2 inch heel. They might cripple me - and leave me hobbling. NYC is a walking city and more then once I have limped home with beautiful new shoes and feet that look like they were gnawed on by a wild beast. I would like to avoid that. The highest heels I wear regularly are 2 inches and I'm not sure if I can handle another inch. The web site says these have "walkable wooden soles" - but if you have to advertise that it is in fact possible to walk in these shoes it seems like that might be a bit of a red flag. No?


But...they are so cute. 


Do I dare? Do I dare?

No comments:

Post a Comment